- Students don’t need to use the iPad all the time at home. Ensure that your child balances their time using technology with other things in their life.
- Children need their sleep, so we strongly suggest that the iPad is NOT TAKEN TO BED.
- We recommend that you specify:
- where in the house the iPad can be used
- where it is to be stored / charged when not in use (Not in the child's bedroom) THIS SHOULD APPLY TO ALL DEVICES including mobile phones
- Talk about Internet activities openly and freely.
- Have your child use the iPad in a shared family area where you can monitor how long your child is online as well as the websites your child is visiting.
- Check the history in Safari or any web browser they may have used.
- If you are experiencing problems with your child/childern being off-task while completing homework/ study time there is the option of setting up Guided Access. Guided Access helps the iPad user to stay focused on a task while using your iPad. Guided Access limits your device to a single app and lets you control which app features are available.
- Mobile phones and other digital devices have access to the Internet, so these devices need to be monitored also.
- Explain to your child that not all information on the Internet is good, true or helpful, and that some areas are are not intended for children to see.
- Help your child identify unsuitable material by naming some things to look out for, such as sites that contain scary or rude pictures, swearing or angry words.
- Empower your child to use the Internet safely by showing your child safe sites and explaining why they are safe. It’s also important to educate your child on why it’s not safe to give out any personal details online. (Refer to our KEEPING SAFE ONLINE section)
- Parental Controls (Restrictions- See below for more detail ) are available on the iPad, if needed. These restrictions will only work on downloaded iTunes music, games and apps. Restrictions will not restrict or block inappropriate websites when using Safari or any other web browser app.
- Parental Controls are available on the iPad. However, they can block iPad features that may be needed at school.